Welcome to click click, the sporadic review of what I find worth clicking on the internet.
These incredible photographs of elaborate nail art are by artist Helen Maurene Cooper. As a personal coda to my trend ender on nail art, the brilliant writer Brittany Julious recalls her own experiences growing up in Chicago.
- On the Leakiness of Surveillance Culture, the Corporate Gaze, and What That Has To Do With the New Aesthetic – this thoughtful essay converges on the unintentional effects, both practical and aesthetic, that computers are having on modern life. Found via one of my favourite link roundups, recently revived after a hiatus, Owl Pellets by The Grumpy Owl. His internet digest contains the remains of baseball, science, history and literature.
- What a 16th Century Guild Teaches Us About Competition – When worsted wool was developed, guilds tried to take control this new technology. Planet Money is an excellent podcast – also check out A Former Crack Dealer on the Economics of Drugs and The 15-Year-Old Who Bought Two Houses.
- How to be a human being on the internet – reconciling personal and professional identities on the internet is a complex task for anyone, but it seems like there are more pitfalls for writers. Related: Ana discusses her own development as a fashion writer and taking time.
- How To Make It In Blogmerica – Sady Doyle writes an honest post about what it takes to be a young writer that very closely resembles my own experience. It riffs off of an article she wrote about Lena Dunham, in which she points out that for every Dunham, there are many more rich kids that just waste their advantages. Sady also wrote a poignant afterword about her mother.
- The enduring art and artifice of fashion week street style – Stefania shares some reflections on a full month of shooting outside of fashion shows. Related – Kris Atomic pulls back.
Karma in the air…
- artcareercafe.com – a project to support creative work founded by v.p.s. cartographie
- Innovation Meltdown – “a destination for sharing new IDEAS”
- Corrine Monique – “I’m a fashion designer & illustrator, photographer, stylist, & musician.”
- nuitdepluie – “art knows no boundaries, boundaries don’t keep me from travelling, travelling is moving, moving is living, living is breathing, breathing is speaking, speaking is communication, communication is friends, friends are life, life is love, love is art…”
- nouvelle/nouveau – “You’re always haunted by the idea you’re wasting your life.”
- rubyBASTILLE – “books~style~food~fantasticness”
- Zoë Hong – “founded on the concept of “future heirlooms”: beautiful, well-crafted pieces that transcend trend”
- kelseyannedotme – “hey hi hello”
- 21 views and up – “I’m 21 years old and I have views. The Up is about growing older and wiser (I hope!).”