Welcome to click click, the sporadic review of what I find worth clicking on the internet.
- Is Fashion Feminist? – Rachel Rabbit White’s excellent response to my post on the same subject. The comments are also brilliant – Rachel is a model moderator, able to foster truly fantastic discussion among her erudite readers.
- Wallis Simpson’s secret letters to her ex-husband – it is revelations like this that make you realize how almost all of the stories we tell each other about famous people are usually modern fables spun by publicists. Via Lucie.
- Pageant Protest Sparked Bra-Burning Myth – further to the idea of sticky symbolism without true precedent, the story behind second-wave-feminism’s most indelible fashion image is an anti-climactic one.
- When Reality-TV Fame Runs Dry – a fascinating, meta-retrospective look at the couple who tried to game the fame game, and failed. Remember them? Via Gala Darling.
- Levi’s pulls ‘riot’ ad after UK violence – terrible, or possibly brilliant timing? See the video here. Further to the fashion angle of the London riots (which literally hit close to my home) – the significance of hoodies, and which shops got looted… and which shops didn’t. Apparently, disaffected youth has no interest in appearing like their oppressors.
- 8 Bloggers Under 18 You Need to be Reading! – 8 more reasons to love and defend teenaged fashion bloggers.
- Like Fitzgerald’s Gatsby, He Was a Mysterious Midwesterner Who Shone Brightest at Night. Then the Parties Stopped – Halston’s last days, from People Magazine, April 1990. More: his perpetually lost legacy.
- An invention to dye for – all about the origins of the people’s purple.
Candid karma for colleagues and clickers…
- Annching Wang - interviews me and asks some gnarly questions.
- Paper Thin Personas - “Printable Paper Dolls & Historic Costume”
- Polka Dots and Pastries – “I spend most of my days at work, but I long for a time when I have an in home studio and a spacious kitchen.”
- Already Pretty – “helping you recognize your own beauty”
- Fashion Pirate – “I have a short temper and a big mouth.”
- Musings of an Inappropriate Woman - “I like talking about how power operates over breakfast.”
- pliving – “If I really like you, I talk in code.”