I quite like the new term I came up with – contrafashion – it’s got a little more nuance than antifashion.
What is contrafashion?
To my thinking, contrafashion:
- Follows the pattern of long-term trends rather than seasons.
- Focuses on perfecting a few styles gradually rather than developing a whole new collection seasonally.
- Emphasizes quality and functionality over fashionability.
- The design effort aspires towards elegant utility.
- Doesn’t compete on price.
Of course there’s no war between contrafashion and conventional fashion. The market for the microtrend will continue unabated – but unlike fast fashion, contrafashion is a perfect fit for domestic manufacturing. Canadian contrafashion could be the keystone for creating our international identity as a source of apparel design and manufacturing.
Does this make more sense? Any questions, comments are welcome.